Skip to main content Skip to main content

Ashland - Local Town Pages

101 Main Street
Ashland, MA 01721

The town of Ashland was incorporated in 1846 out of portions of neighboring Hopkinton, Holliston, and Framingham. Its town meetings were at first held in a combination school and meeting hall built in 1830 by local mill owners. In 1851 the town began considering the construction of a town house, resulting in construction of the present structure in 1855 on the site of the previous building. Originally three bays wide and five deep, two additional bays extended its length in 1905. At the same time, the Colonial Revival portico was added to the front, augmenting its otherwise Italianate and Greek Revival features. The building continued to be used as a school as well, serving grade school students until 1928.[